Here is a brief outline of the work we will be doing in Year 4 during the Autumn term:
Literacy: During the Autumn term, literacy will be linked to our topic –Space.
The children will work on their creative writing skills; writing about characters and settings and using their imagination.
Mathematics: The children will be developing a variety of mathematical concepts throughout the year beginning with number and place value. They will be provided with frequent opportunities to consolidate their previous learning and to work independently, applying the skills they have learned.
Our topic is Science based: “Space.”
This is very much a cross curricular topic and will feature in Literacy, Science, Geography and History lessons. We will be finding out about the history of space travel, the Earth, Moon and Sun as well as the other planets in the solar system. If the children would like to do extra research at home, that would be great!
During Art lessons, the children will be improving their mastery of Art and Design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials such as pencil, charcoal, paint and clay. They will be introduced to observational drawing and the work of artists such as Paul Klee.
Other subjects we will be covering include:
- French – we are fortunate enough to once again welcome a French teacher from the King John School once a week to deliver lessons to the children.
- Computing – learning about E-safety, coding and practising research skills.
- PE – will be on Tuesday afternoons this term. Children can continue to wear their PE kit to school on the day they have PE.
- Earrings must not be worn for PE, please ensure they are not worn on these days or that the children are able to remove these themselves prior to the lesson.
Homework – the expectation for this remains the same:
Daily times tables practice – the children were fantastic in Year 4 learning their tables but practice will help them remember them this year !
Children can practise in a number of ways:
- Online activities such as Sumdog, MyMaths, Purple Mash, BBC Bitesize etc.
- Quick fire questions.
- Writing them down – repetition.
- Children will also continue to have a homework book for Maths.
- This will consist of a times tables sheet and some Arithmetic questions.
- This will be handed out on a Tuesday and they will have until the following Tuesday when we will mark it together in class, working through the answers and strategies they can use.
Spellings practise – new spellings are given every Monday in class, these are practised daily as part of handwriting but the children should still be practising them every evening. Spelling test is on a Friday morning.
Reading – please read with your child regularly. They will have a reading book from school and a reading record book for you to date, comment in and sign when they have read. Please try and discuss the books with the children, asking questions about the text and making sure they understand any new vocabulary.
Things to look forward to ……
Year 5 are lucky enough to be invited to the Young Voices concert next year in February. This will take place at the O2 arena in London and is always a fantastic night for all involved. More details will be sent out soon and you can look forward to the children practising the songs day and night !!
I know it’s a long way off but what a nice way to end Year 5 this will be, I’m genuinely really pleased with the response to this trip and the enthusiasm it generated. As always, if you have any concerns or you need to discuss anything with me please use the Year 5 email address and we can arrange to meet after school or liaise via email.