In English this term our story writing will focus on characters and settings. Our non-fiction writing will be a recount and instructional text. READING: Children are reminded to take their reading book and reading card home every night and they should be brought into school every day. In Maths, we will be covering the following areas of mathematics: place value and understanding of number, mental and written methods of all four operations and also measurement including length and perimeter. Autumn 1 topic: Rotten Romans. This is a history-based topic where we will be learning about the Roman Empire. This will include: The Roman invasion of Britain and why the Romans came to Britain, a comparison between the Romans and the Celts, Boudicca’s revolt against the Romans and also what the Romans did for us. Autumn 2 topic: The second half term topic is Switched on! This is a Science and DT based topic where we will be learning and investigating about electricity. This work will involve lots of practical investigations into how circuits work. We will be investigating conductors and insulators of electricity and how to make a switch for a simple circuit. At the end of this topic the pupils will apply their knowledge to create an electrical device.
Weekly reminders for Year 4
- PE: Thursday – All jewellery needs to be removed. Indoor and outdoor PE kit will be needed in school all week.
- Library: Thursday – we will be visiting our new library every Thursday.
- Homework: the expectation is that all children read to an adult at least 5 times a week and that TT Rockstars is accessed daily.
- Spellings: given out on a Friday and tested on a Friday. OPTIONAL TERMLY HOMEWORK: What do you know about electricity? Perhaps you could make your own electrical circuit, create a Powerpoint presentation or informative poster or even find out about who invented electricity? Due back: Monday 30th September
In the second half of the summer term our topic is Making connections. This is a geography based topic. We will be investigating our local area, locating it on a map and identifying human and physical features of the local area. In history we will be continuing our Egyptian topic. In science we will be learning about solids, liquids and gases and identifying the part played by evaporation and condensation in the water cycle.
Literacy and Numeracy: In Literacy our fiction focus will be myths and legends. Our non- fiction focus will be journalistic and explanation texts. In Numeracy we will be covering the following topics: statistics, time, geometry and shape as well as consolidating the four operations.
Other useful info: Outdoor PE is on a Thursday (children will need a PE kit in school all week and a pair of trainers) Swimming is on a Monday
Spellings are set on a Friday and tested on the following Thursday. Times tables are tested on a Friday.
Well done to all of the children who have already handed in their Egyptian homework task. We have some great creations so far!
Making connections Challenge homework
Choose one of these to complete and hand in before Friday 28th June
- Take a photo of yourself at your favourite place in Hadleigh and write about why it is your favourite place. (This could be a poem or as sentences)
- Make a poster or leaflet advertising the facilities in Hadleigh.
- Make a model of an interesting building or landmark in the local area.
- Make a game about your local area.
- Research the history of Hadleigh and write some interesting facts about what you found out. (this could be as a fact file, report or a power-point)
- Find out about a famous building or famous person from the local area.